Friday, January 21, 2011

Cusp of a Generation

 

The Commodore 64, one of my first computers. Because the foster home I grew up in was a "teaching" home, a kinda government laboratory for delinquent kids, we had a computer in the house pretty much as soon as they hit the market. 1984-ish. When I was 7. We also had a couple of other models over the years, an original Apple computer, a MacIntosh.Atari. Coleco. Magnavox.

It's a strange feeling to be born on the cusp of the computer age, just a decade after the beginning of the Space Age. Sometimes I feel a societal pressure to measure up. To be ever so constantly aware of my own potential obsolescence.

I remember (a more) organic age before computers. When there were just 8-tracks and record players and radios. When we had to go outside to play cuz we couldn't stay in all day playing video games.

I look at children born nowadays, bred and birthed and raised on silicone milk (incidentally around the same time kids started getting fat.. as if the milk was literal). I worry that their sense of the world will be warped, somehow less moral, if they lose touch with the Earth, with the organic world.

As if what is manmade is somehow less moral or organic.

Ironic, don't you think?

No comments: